Welcome, Guest. Please Login ,
CHESS NE1 The North East Chess Forum

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Northumberland County Congress 23rd-25th September (Read 2783 times)
David
Patzer

Northumberland County Congress 23rd-25th September
May 23rd, 2011 at 7:12am

To be held at The Parks Leisure Centre North Shields.
Open, Major (165 and below),Minor (135 and below) plus new event FOUNDATION for 105 and below. The Foundation consists of 5 double rounds (play the same person twice, once with White and once with white, All moves in 60 minutes). Full details and entry form from David Watson email davidmwatson@blueyonder.co.uk

IP Logged

Jimbob Jones
I.M.

Re: Northumberland County Congress 23rd-25th September
Reply #1 - Sep 22nd, 2011 at 8:14pm

David brought along the list of entrants in each section to our club night on Weds and it's pretty much a sell out, with over 100 competitors taking part across the sections.  Particularly impressive is the open section with approx 25 entrants, many of them top-class.  And that was on Weds with a couple more days for disorganised chess types to get their act together.

Best of luck y'all!

IP Logged

Bishopbasher
Admin

Riding the magic carpet.

Centre of the Universe
Reply #2 - Sep 22nd, 2011 at 8:43pm

Excellent news Jimbob, its good to see one of the few remaining congresses well attended.

I'd love to go, but my extension roof will not felt itself!

The Management.
IP Logged

billyboy62
Grandmaster

CHESS NE1

Reply #3 - Sep 23rd, 2011 at 5:01am

The Darlo hardcore are playing Kev Steve O Richard Harris and myself see you all there

IP Logged

Ernie Lazenby
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Sep 23rd, 2011 at 2:22pm

Advice please. After leaving the new Tyne Tunnel heading north is it easy to get onto the A187 or is there a load of roadworks to find ones way around? Taking a bye this evening, travelling up in the morning.

IP Logged

Bishopbasher
Admin

Riding the magic carpet.

Centre of the Universe
Reply #5 - Sep 25th, 2011 at 8:22pm

Who's won what then?

The Management.
IP Logged

billyboy62
Grandmaster

CHESS NE1

Reply #6 - Sep 25th, 2011 at 9:29pm

The Hawk won the open with a old face taking at least = 2nd in David Mooney
I think Paul Robson won the Major
Not sure about who won the minor.

I would just like to thank the organisers for a great Tournament the turnout was excellent with over 100 players taking part 30 of which were in the open that is the strongest and most populated open i have seen in a northeast weekender.
People travelled from all over the country to play as a lot were using it to check out the local facillities for next years British i myself played two players from London a a player from Cumbria.
I had a intresting torny i took a bye on Friday sat morning i lost to the top seed only then to get the number 3 seed i drew that only then to get number 5 seed on Sunday morning i won that only then to get the number 2 seed he was acually = top grade i drew that so i finished on 50% i am happy with that given the strenth of opponent i faced.
Ps
If Bruster won in the last round hw will finish 3rd he was playing somebody called Boyd a Sunderland player from back in the day.

IP Logged

Ernie Lazenby
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Sep 25th, 2011 at 9:59pm

Jonathan was playing David Walker Not Mooney in Rd 5.
I managed 3/5 in the Major. I managed to beat young   Zheming Zhan in the last round, he's one to watch for the future, 9 yrs old and graded137

IP Logged

Bruster
County Master

Reply #8 - Sep 25th, 2011 at 11:52pm

I drew against John Boyd as black to finish on 3. Alas a win wouldnt have got me third as charlie story lost his last round to some young lad, his name slips my mind, who shared second with Dave Walker on 4. Dave qualified for the British. i did however share the grading prize with Paul Bielby.

It was good to see a fair few Cleaveland players up here supporting a north east competition....... However a couple of them did get a nosie bleeds being this high up the country!

A great tournie overall. Minor and major were stronger than i can recall in years.  The open had 29 player with 4 players above 200 and about 13 above 180! Great weekend of chess overall!

IP Logged

GoodKnight
County Master

Haway Spartak

Reply #9 - Sep 29th, 2011 at 8:22am

Nice to hear that Dave Mooney, Dave Walker and John Boyd were playing. Wonder if there would be interest in forming a new Sunderland club!?

Who needs tactics

IP Logged

Ernie Lazenby
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Sep 29th, 2011 at 9:38am

Dave Mooney was not playing at the congress. I think Billyboy got mixed up with David Walker. Dave Mooneys name was mentioned during the weekend as someone who may start playing again, thats all it was.

IP Logged

GoodKnight
County Master

Haway Spartak

Reply #11 - Sep 29th, 2011 at 12:12pm

People travelled from all over the country to play as a lot were using it to check out the local facillities for next years British

Will it be the same venue for the British?

Who needs tactics

IP Logged

billyboy62
Grandmaster

CHESS NE1

Reply #12 - Sep 29th, 2011 at 2:11pm

Opps i meant Walker not Mooney i think Dave mooney achieved his place in the British that was why he was playing.
The British next year will be played in the main sports hall the room where we played at the weekend will be a analasise room.
I do think they will have to improve the catering as the cafe closed at 5.00pm
But other than that it will be a really good venue

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print